Harris Primary Academy Shortlands 'Outstanding' in First Ever Ofsted Report
Harris Primary Academy Shortlands in Bromley has been rated ‘outstanding’ in every category following its first ever Ofsted inspection.
Harris Primary Academy Shortlands is a new free school that the Harris Federation opened in 2014. The Ofsted report praised the positive attitudes of the pupils and the strong support of the school leaders and staff. Inspectors said:
- “Pupils’ attitudes to learning are exemplary. They are keen to answer challenging questions which teachers probe. They do not give up when work is made harder by their teachers.”
- “Leaders have high expectations for the progress pupils should make across a wide range of subjects. They are relentless in pursuit of accelerated progress.”
- “Teachers enable pupils to understand and respect one another’s views and opinions. This enables even the youngest children to consider and discuss sensitive issues.”
- “Pupils behave with respect for one another and adults, fully living up to the values which the school promotes.”
- “Pupils told inspectors that they appreciate the individual support which teachers offer them to develop their own writing.”
- “Pupils in each year group make rapid progress, living up to leaders’ high expectations. As a result, the proportion of pupils on track to meet and exceed expected standards of attainment by the end of key stage 1 is higher than the 2016 national average in reading, writing and mathematics.”
Sam French, Executive Principal of Harris Primary Academy Shortlands, said:
“We are delighted that Ofsted recognise the positivity and hard work that characterises our school. This ‘outstanding’ rating is a credit to our children and staff and I am incredibly proud we have achieved this in our first ever Ofsted inspection, in just three years since opening the school. I would like to thank and congratulate our wonderful pupils, parents and staff who make Harris Primary Academy Shortlands such a special place to learn.”
Click here to read the full report.